Saturday, November 08, 2008

My position, abortion, rights in general

After some wide ranging discussion with some people who read my last post, I think I should clarify some things. I am not a fan of abortion at all, and for the most part, think it is wrong, and unnecessary, considering medical advancements we have made in the last few decades. But, it is not my place to impose my morality, through government force, on anyone. People have to make their own choices, and they also have to live with the consequences of their choices. There are also medical situations that I can see where an abortion may be a viable option, if not the only choice. So, if you want to classify me in modern political speech, I would be pro-choice/anti-abortion. Quite a dichotomy, eh? It is not as big a twist as you may think. An individual has one right from which all others come from, and that is the right to make the choices he/she sees fit. The minute you try to regulate any one choice, you are infringing on the rights of all. After all, your choice may be the next to be infringed. In my world, rights are inviolable, even if I don't agree with how those rights are used. It is not left to me to judge, that is left to God. I just make the best choices I can, with the intellect and spirit I have been given, and know that I will be judged on those. I expect no more, and no less from everyone else.
Clear things up better?

3 Comments:

Blogger Todd Erven said...

Very well said, Terry. That's my view on abortion as well.

Nicely worded.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Chuck said...

I couldn't agree with you more Terry. Well said!

Chuck

9:07 AM  
Blogger Bobbe Edmonds said...

God is going to punish you all in a righteous fire.

Starting with the nonbelievers...

Oh shi-!

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home